Tuesday 8 April 2014

First days in Scotland

Well, here I am in Aberdeenshire, Scotland!  If you go on to Google Maps and put in 'AB31 5EP', it will show you exactly where I am at my parents' house.  36 hours of flight travel later and I'm feeling pretty tired. One of the best ways to beat jet lag, I've found, is to get out and about in the fresh air.

So today, off we went to a place called Burn o'Vat.  You trudge through the woodland to a place where the river seems to pour out of a narrow gap in the rock.  But in fact, you can squeeze through that gap and come out in the 'vat'.  The vat is a large natural rock formation.  Thousands of years ago, when the glaciers melted at the end of the ice age, enormous volumes of water rushed down the hillsides towards the sea.  In the vat, the water formed a whirlpool and gouged out a huge cavern in the rocks.  It's pretty amazing!




17 comments:

  1. This was awesome, I wish I could go because it looks so fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked it up on google maps, its in the countryside. Or is that what Scotland is actually like?
    Anyway, it looks amazing. Wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's right in the middle of nowhere. Scotland is a lot like New Zealand - cities with a concentration of lots of people, then lots of wide open spaces and countryside. That's probably why I feel so at home in New Zealand!

      Delete
  3. It looks like you're having a great time the pictures you took look fabulous and I hope you are having fun. Looks like good weather too. Scotland looks like an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather's coming and going with quite a bit of rain, but we have really long days here already. The sun is up by 6am and doesn't set until well past 8pm. It's lovely!

      Delete
  4. Wow, I wish i could go to Scotland now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks SOOOOOOO cool! Just imagine the whirlpool tearing apart the rocks. I so wish I could go there too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! Sometimes I wish I could go back in time to see the forces and people that shaped our world.

      Delete
  6. OMG I WISH I WAS THERE!!!! It looks so amazing and awesome, it looks pretty fun and I am so jealous and you forgot to put me in your suitcase! but I hope you are having so much fun there and I miss you and I can't wait to see you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, sorry Caitlyn - I maxed out my luggage allowance on clothes and Whittakers chocolate. Next time. Looking forward to seeing you all in May!

      Delete
  7. awesome photo and I liike quand tu est entre les roches
    sorry it is not in english because I don't know SORRY

    ReplyDelete
  8. OmG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i NeVeR kNeW HoW CoOl ScOtLaNd Is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HoPe SoMeDaY yOu CaN TaKe Me Jo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. cool place, wish I was there. Hope your having lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW IT IS TOTALLY AWESOME MISS YAH. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ABBEY IS AWESOME!!!5 May 2014 at 18:57

    WOW THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete